September 19 2019
Everyone loves swimming on hot summer days, but no one likes dryness that keeps the moisture away. Going to the lakes, rivers, pools, and oceans are top priority during the summer, but have you noticed what it does to your hair, skin, and nails? The Village Salon and Spa has provided you with some quick tips to not only cure, but to help prevent dry, and unhealthy hair, skin, and nails.
- Before a Day of jumping into the pool there are a few things you should do.
- Before leaving the house apply face and body sunscreen. Experts say roughly a teaspoon of sunscreen should be applied to the face, while a shot glass full should be applied to the body! Don’t forget to allow up to 15 minutes to soak into your skin to receive full benefits. Applying sunscreen often and rigorously provides the body with an extra barrier that makes chemicals or saltwater harder to penetrate. It also keeps your skin from burning. Sun burns can cause the skin to become dry and flaky, sometimes even painful! We recommend the Coola sunscreens that offer a broad spectrum coverage that is rich in antioxidants and other skin-loving ingredients.
- Rinse your hair and body thoroughly with fresh water. This allows the body to start absorbing healthy water before entering the pool or ocean. Throw in some Extreme Anti-Snap Leave in Treatment to give your hair additional protection before entering the pool. For my ladies with curly hair, we suggest Curvaceous Conditioner to lock in your moisture and lock out the damaging effects of salt-water or chlorine.
- Throughout the Day remember to always always, always:
- Stay hydrated! It is essential for your hair, skin, and nails to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to ensure your body stays hydrated. We cannot stress how important and the amazing benefits drinking the right amount of water can have on your body!
- When in doubt, reapply. Most people lose track of time and may never reapply their sunscreen. Experts recommend reapplying every two hours. Maybe set an alarm so the day doesn’t slip away. Applying extra now, is better than curing sunburnt skin later.
- After a day of Fun in the Sun, go home and treat your body to a quick at home spa.
- Start with one of our Hydrating Shampoo, Conditioners and treatments that takes about 5 minutes and will flood your hair with hydration. Pairing this mask with our leave in conditioner will have your hair staying healthy all summer long. Ask our stylists to give you a haircare recommendation that is just right for your hair.
- While your hair mask in sitting, do a quick exfoliation to your face. Exfoliation removes dead skin and debris to prevent congestion on the surface of the skin. It has multiple benefits such as promoting hydration, unclogging pores, and smoothing the skin. See our Esthetician to determine which mask is best for you. For example, if you tend to have oily skin, clay masks will help soak up excess oil. Creamy masks are best to cleanse pores and boost hydration. While gel masks are perfect if you didn’t apply enough sunscreen. They will help reduce redness and cools skin temperature.
- After your shower quickly apply a dab of cuticle oil to your nail beds. This helps promote healthy nail growth and gives nutrients to your current nails. Water tends to cause nails to be brittle and break easily. Applying cuticle oil gives strength and nutrients.
- Keep in mind while you are getting ready for your next summer event, that using excess heat hair styling tools, such as hair dryers, straighteners, or curling rods, could cause additional damage. IF your hair is already brittle from a lack of moisturizer because of chemicals or saltwater, applying additional heat without protection could have you running to the salon sooner than expected!
This summer we want you to be bold and brave. Go out and adventure new waters with your closest friends. If you stick to our quick and easy steps, you won’t have a worry in the wind. For further consultation about your specific hair, skin, and nail needs you can contact us at 302-644-2427. Or stop by our office located at 17314 North Village Main Blvd. Lewes, DE 19958. We can’t wait to assist you!