October 1 2021
Acne is one of the most problematic skincare issues we see on a daily basis here at Village Salon. No one wants an acne breakout, but many of us get them, and when we do, they take a long time to resolve. Regular skincare is the key to fighting acne, including regular professional facial treatments and a great home skincare regimen using professional-grade product. But even with these tools available to us, some myths about acne seem to be persistent. Here are a few that we hear almost every day!
- Myth #1: Don’t moisturize oily skin. We hear this myth constantly, but surprisingly, failing to hydrate your skin can actually make oily skin worse. That’s because the main reason that skin gets excessively oily in the first place is that your oil glands release natural oils to try to combat dryness. The solution to oily skin is to balance out your skin through proper skincare. Part of that is hydration using professional-grade products from brands like Dermalogica® or FarmHouse Fresh® that are designed for your skin type. Another important aspect is regular professional facials, which can remove and extract impurities that can lead to breakouts or make them worse.
- Myth #2: Don’t use sunscreen if you have acne. Sun protection is one of the most important skincare steps you can take to prevent skin damage, so it’s important to use sunscreen every day. However, it’s important to use the right product to avoid ingredients that can irritate oily or acne-prone skin. Check the labels and avoid sunscreens with silicone or mineral oils, which can add to the problem of oily skin.
- Myth #3: Use toothpaste on your acne. There are plenty of old wives’ tales about non-skincare products that are rumored to help or heal acne, but it’s important to get all the facts first. Many people think toothpaste heals acne, probably because some of the ingredients in toothpaste might work to temporarily shrink a breakout. Unfortunately, there are a lot of other ingredients in toothpaste that are great for cleaning your teeth but have no place on your skin. Always use only products that are made for skin, and choose professional-grade skincare products that designed for your skin type by trusted brands like FarmHouse Fresh® or Dermalogica®.
- Myth #4: Get extra sunlight to cure acne. This can be one of the most dangerous myths for your skin, because UV light from the sun can cause damage to your skin that can lead to early signs of aging like wrinkles. While sun exposure might seem to help acne, it’s best to turn to professionally tested skincare products instead of exposing your skin to excess sunlight.
- Myth #5: Wash your face a lot and you’ll prevent breakouts. While this seems like a reasonable suggestion, the problem occurs when you try to cleanse your face too often or use harsh soap. Excessive cleansing can strip your skin of needed moisture, which leads to the same problem as not using moisturizer: your skin reacts by trying to create more moisture to compensate, and you end up with even oilier skin.
What can I do to help my acne?
Acne can be a serious problem, but breakthroughs in professional skincare can help you take control.
- Start with a skin consultation. The first step is a skincare consultation with a professional esthetician at Village Salon & Spa. We’ll examine your skin, hear about your recent skincare issues, and develop a plan of attack to help you get smooth, soft skin that’s free of acne and other problems.
- Get regular professional facial treatments. After your skin consultation, we’ll help you select the right facial treatments for you, like the revolutionary HydraFacial treatment. We’ll recommend a schedule of regular professional skincare treatments that will give you the best skin you’ve ever had.
- Follow up with a daily skincare regimen. In between salon visits, be sure you follow a morning and evening routine of daily skincare using professional-grade products from brands like Dermalogica® and FarmHouse Fresh®. Our expert estheticians will help you choose the right products for your skin’s needs.
- Having trouble with acne breakouts? Make an appointment at Village Salon & Spa today and let our expert estheticians help you choose the right monthly facial treatments for soft and beautiful, acne-free skin. Call us at 302-644-4247 to schedule your monthly facial treatment appointment today. You can find us in The Villages of Five Points center at 17314 North Village Main Blvd., in Lewes, DE. To schedule your facial treatment appointment right from your mobile device, try our free mobile app, available on iTunes or Google Play.